Monday, February 6, 2012

Go Analog Baby (Chapter 1 Response Post)

Chapter 1 of "Pesonal Learning Networks" deals a lot with well, just that PLN's. Namely, it does much to advocate changing to a learning network system, both as a learner and an educator. The writers consider our education system, as it is, in need of a rehaul or revamp, and wish to see a inclusion of more technology and learning networks. They even go as far as comparing the current classroom a "black and white picture of a student at her desk alone, studying from a mass-produced book," whereas a more learning network oriented classroom would be a "full color video of that same student learning how to access personalized content through a mobile device."

...and that's pretty much where I drew the line.

While I can understand where the authors are coming from, they are definitely overselling their products and making the current classroom come off as some kind of prison. Throughout the chapter they are advocating for PLN's but most of the time their wording comes across as vague and they never really explain possible examples until the last few pages. Furthermore, they tend to dismiss the negative sides to PLN's without really overcoming them, (something I know, as an English major, is very important.) Then, when the negatives rear up again at the end of the chapter, they outright tell us that learning networks could be completely ineffective and that it is very difficult to gauge their potential. Lastly, throughout the chapters the writers time and again state that they are in no way promoting the deconstruction of the teacher-student relationship or just putting the student in front of a computer all day, their examples of learning networks seem to show just the opposite:

"English students blogging with the author of of the novel they're reading, or your science class is is creating a video with scientists from the National Institute of Health."

While I am on board with a new integration of technology and learning networks, these guys need to work on their marketing. It's making it seem like us teachers will either become just a supervisor or a a man on a screen....

It's stuff like this that makes me grow wary of the coming robot overlords. Coming from a small close-knit private high school, where I was able to make valuable bonds with my teachers and hammer out the A's (and a couple B's; Physics has scarred me for life,) I both agree and disagree with the writers. While i want to see more learning networks in the classroom, I would prefer to see it as a handy option here and there, not the source of an entire classroom rehaul as the chapter sometimes alludes to. After all, I don't see a problem with the way I was taught, or the millions of people before me were taught.

may the Robot Overlords have mercy on my soul...






1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about the tone of the authors demeaning the role of teachers into a "man on a screen." I share your views and really enjoyed the style you put into your writing.

    ReplyDelete