Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Validity is Difficult to Pronounce: Power Point Bloggin'

So for today in SEDU we had to create a Power Point project on a lesson of our choice. I, naturally, decided upon a lesson for a 10th grade Lit class, and for the most part, it went off without a hitch.

The thing about my high school was, as of last year we no longer had Snow Days. Instead we did class work over the internet and emailed them in. We were the first high school in PA to start this, and while it is completely terrifying and a chore for both the students and teachers, it provided to be an excellent vehicle for my Power Point. The hard part however, was finding a lesson to base said Power Point on...

Pdesas is a horrifying nightmare of a website, and I heard from a reliable source that it eats puppies for breakfast (WITHOUT ANY MILK!) Honestly though, it is so confusing and cluttered, navigation was near impossible. I legitimately spent most of my time looking for standard to write about, but once I had it (Comparing /Contrasting Works & Looking for Validity, Bias and Author's Intent) it was pretty easy the rest of the way.

I divided my PP project into two parts. The first, was about comparing a written work to its movie counter part. I originally wanted to use the Climax of the final Harry Potter movie, but I didn't want to spoil anything (nor could i find a good Neville/Nagini pic), so i decided on Wizard of Oz instead, which surprisingly has tons of differences. The Second part of my project was about a controversial issue, and I went with Prop 8 (focusing on the both the social and religious arguments.) While some people may argue that its "Taboo" to talk about such controversial subjects, I firmly believe that is our duty as teachers to not only teach students the three R's, but to get them to think about and prepare them for the real world.

When it came to actually presenting the project, I was pretty nervous. While I consider myself a confident speaker I tend to get tongue tied a lot and stutter. Luckily I was able to make it through with few errors, however, VALIDITY IS A TOUGH WORD TO PRONOUNCE! I must have stuttered over it every time... It certainly didn't help that it was a main point of my project.

Overall however, I think I did pretty well, I embedded a snazzy video and everything so I hope i get an equally snazzy grade.


Vadility... Valility... Vadiddley... Valoodity...

No comments:

Post a Comment